About Mad Fox
In the tradition of a Euro gastro brewpub, we’re proud to provide a unique dining experience that pairs our handcrafted, award-winning beer with an appealing menu created in a scratch kitchen using locally-sourced and sustainable products whenever possible. All of our craft beers are brewed on-site using the finest ingredients sourced from across the country and internationally as well. Our kitchen strives to use fresh ingredients from local farms, butchers and the nearby Falls Church Farmer’s Market in preparing its creative offerings. Taste the difference with our appealing brewpub menu featuring hand-tossed artisan pizzas, creative burgers, signature frickles, weekly specials and more.
Our 63-foot bar serves as the centerpiece of the brewpub where we showcase up to ten standard, house-brewed draught beers on tap as well as a rotating selection of seasonal brews in German, English, Belgian and American styles. Taste our cask conditioned proper Real Ales served through water-jacketed Angram beer engines which ensure that every pint is served at properly conditioned cellar temperatures.
Meet the Brewer: Bill Madden
One of the industry’s most-respected brewers, Bill Madden serves as the chief executive officer and executive brewer at Mad Fox Brewing Company. He guides the brewing team consisting of head brewer Charlie Buettner and brewers Brian Murphy and Brad Hulewicz. Bill learned the science of brewing at the University of California-Davis where he graduated from the Master Brewers Program in 1995. Since then, he has been honing his craft and has been responsible for opening and operating seven brewpub locations in the region while at Capitol City Brewing Company, Founders Restaurant and Brewing Company, and Vintage 50 Restaurant and Brew Lounge. Bill's locally brewed and served beers have received national acclaim through the Brewers Associations' Great American Beer Festival (GABF) and the Chicago Real Ale Festival. His achievements are especially notable because they span from the biggest, most robust and full-flavored beer styles to also include the lightest and subtlest beer styles, an unusual accomplishment that speaks to his finesse as a brewer.
Meet the Chef: Andrew Dixon
Andrew Dixon is executive chef at Mad Fox Brewing Company. Prior to Mad Fox, Andrew came to Northern Virginia to work with culinary icon Michel Richard. He arrived in the D.C. area from the Four Diamond Award-winning Semiahmoo Resort in Blain, Washington – consistently recognized as one of the Pacific Northwest’s top destinations. As Executive Chef from 2007 through 2010, he managed six food outlets for three properties, which included development of menus and managing the culinary teams for all properties. While there, he developed relationships with local wineries and breweries, leading to the creation of a popular Brew Master Dinner Series, and a Winemaker vs. Brew Master Dinner.
D.C. Area’s Most Award-Winning Brewpub
Since opening in July 2010, Mad Fox Brewing Company has received significant accolades from its customers, media outlets and the brewing, restaurant and hospitality industry:
• 2013 - 1st Place / Top Restaurant - Taste of Falls Church
• 2013 - Bronze Medal (Kolsch - Light & Amber Hybrid) - Virginia Craft Brewers Fest Cup Winner
• 2013 - Bronze Medal (Elixer Maibock - European Matlty Lager) - Virginia Craft Brewers Fest Cup Winner
• 2013 - Best Brewpub and Guy's Night Out - Northern Virginia Magazine "Best of 2013"
• 2013 – 91 (Exceptional Score) – Beer Advocate
• 2012 - Bronze Medal (English Summer Ale - Pale Ale) - Virginia Craft Brewers Fest Cup Winner
• 2012 – Silver Medal (Elixir Maibock) – Great American Beer Festival® (GABF)
• 2012 – 1st Place / Top Restaurant – Taste of Falls Church
• 2012 - Best Burger and Best Guy Hang Out - Falls Church Patch Readers Awards
• 2012 - Hottest Bar Restaurant RAMMY Award Finalist – Restaurant Association Metropolitan Washington
• 2012 – Burger of the Year (Cowboy Burger) – Burger Days Blog
• 2012 - The Next Big Thing (Reynard Black Saison) – The Best Beers in American - Men’s Health
• 2011 – Gold Medal (Kellerbier Kolsch) – Great American Beer Festival®
• 2011 – Bronze Medal (English Summer Ale) – Great American Beer Festival®
• 2011 – 75 Favorite Bars – Washingtonian Magazine
• 2011 - Best of Falls Church: Happy Hour - Falls Church News Press
• 2011 - Best New Hotspot - Northern Virginia Magazine
• 2011 - Reader’s Poll for Best New Bar – Washington City Paper
• 2011 - Staff Pick for Best Beer Bar - Washington City Paper
• 2010 - An Editor’s Pick - The Washington Post
Here is the list of other award-winning beers created by Bill prior to launching Mad Fox:
• 2004 – Silver (Margaret’s Scotch Ale) - Great American Beer Festival®
• 2003 – Chicago Real Ale – Wee Heavy Ale
• 2002 – Gold (Capitol Kolsch) - Great American Beer Festival®
• 2002 – Bronze (Amber Waves Ale) - Great American Beer Festival®
• 2002 – Bronze (Wee Heavy Ale) - Great American Beer Festival®
• 2002 – Chicago Real Ale – Wee Heavy Ale
• 2002 – Chicago Real Ale – Best of Show, Silver, Wee Heavy Ale
• 2000 – Silver (Capitol Kolsch) - Great American Beer Festival®
• 2000 – Silver (Wee Heavy Ale - Great American Beer Festival®